Napoli host Lazio at Diego Armando Maradona in another crucial Serie A clash on Friday. Luciano Spalletti’s side are flying this season having taken 65 points from their first 24 games. It’s not yet mathematically confirmed, but few would suggest that a rival has a chance of catching Spalletti’s side in the title race between now and the end of the season. Lazio, however, are not having the same bad season. They have taken 45 points from 24 games and are in the middle of the race to secure Champions League football next season. Here’s what you need to know:
- Date: Friday, Mar. 3 | year: 2:45 p.m. ET
- Location: Diego Armando Maradona Stadium — Naples, Italy
- Live broadcast: CBS Sports Network and Paramount+
- Chance: Napoli -170; Draw +285; Lazio +475 (via Caesars Sportsbook)
Selected game | Napoli vs Lazio
- Ciro Immobile leads the line for Lazio. The 33-year-old Italian joined the club in the summer of 2016 from Spanish side Sevilla. Immobile has contributed a total of nine goals and three assists in the 19 Serie A games he has played so far this season. He has recorded 20 shots on goal, created 15 chances and completed eleven take-ons.
- Spalletti took over at Napoli in the summer of 2021. The 63-year-old Italian has been coaching since 1994 when he started his career at Empoli. He has since worked throughout Italy and Europe, working with Sampdoria, Venezia, Udinese, Ancona, Roma, Zenit St Petersburg and Inter Milan.
- Maurizio Sarri has been appointed by Lazio in the summer of 2021. The 64-year-old Italian has been a coach since 1990, starting his career in the lower leagues of the Italian football pyramid before gradually working his way up to the top. Sarri’s big break came at Empoli between 2012 and 2015 and that earned him the job at Napoli, which in turn earned him spells with Premier League giants Chelsea and, most recently, Juventus before moving to Lazio.
- Napoli boast a sharper attack than Lazio. They have scored more goals than their next opponents (58 to 40) as well as had more shots on goal (147 to 102), created more chances (324 to 201) and completed more takes (193 to 138).
- Napoli have won five matches in Serie A, while Lazio have won two of their last five. Napoli have beaten Empoli (2-0), Sassuolo (2-0), Cremonese (3-0), Spezia (3-0) and Roma (2-1). Lazio have beaten Sampdoria (1-0) and Salernitana (2-0), drawn with Verona (1-1) and Fiorentina (1-1) and lost to Atalanta (2-0).
Napoli are the top contenders to win the Scudetto this season and have only drawn two in the first part of the season and lost to Inter on January 4. Expected to beat Lazio on Friday. Choose: Napoli 2, Lazio 0.