March Madness has arrived and the NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball Tournament is set with the first four games starting on Tuesday and Wednesday. While college athletes will be competing on the hardwood, apparel brands will be competing for exposure and hoping the teams they sponsor make deep runs in the tournament.
Four sports brands will have teams that sponsors participate in this year NCAA Tournament: Nike, Jordan (which is a brand within Nike), Adidas and Under Armour. Of the 68 teams in this year’s tournament, Nike sponsors 36, while four others wear Jordan, Adidas sponsors 18 and Under Armor 10.
See which apparel brands are supporting the teams that could make or break your support this year.
MARCH MADNESS BET ON 15 BILLION DOLLARS THIS YEAR
Oregon-based apparel giant Nike leads 36 teams in this year’s NCAA Tournament with a host of perennial favorites. The lineup includes a pair of No. 1 seeds, the Alabama Crimson Tide and Purdue Boilermakers, and a trio of No. 2 seeds – the Arizona Wildcats, Marquette Golden Eagles and Texas Longhorns.
All four No. 3 seeds in the tournament — the Baylor Bears, Gonzaga Bulldogs, Kansas State Wildcats and Xavier Musketeers — are Nike-branded programs. They are joined by three of the No. 4 seeds with the Tennessee Volunteers, UConn Huskies and Virginia Cavaliers in the ranks, as well as the fifth-seeded Duke Blue Devils.
PIZZA HUT CELEBRATES MARCH MADNESS WITH MINI BASKETBALL
Nike’s on-court dominance extends to mid- and lower-seeded teams looking to pull off upsets and make a deep tournament run, including:
- No. 6 seed Creighton Bluejays, Iowa State Cyclones, Kentucky Wildcats and TCU Horned Frogs.
- No. 7 seeds Michigan State Spartans and Missouri Tigers.
- No. 8 seed Arkansas Razorbacks, Iowa Hawkeyes and Memphis Tigers.
- No. 9 seed Illinois Fighting Illini and the West Virginia Mountaineers.
- No. 10 seeds Boise State Broncos, Penn State Nittany Lions, USC Trojans and Utah State Aggies.
- No. 11 seeds Pitt Panthers and Providence Friars.
- No. 12 seed Oral Roberts Golden Eagles and Virginia Cavaliers.
- Plus the No. 13 seed Furman Paladins, the No. 14 Grand Canyon Antelopes and the No. 15 Princeton Tigers and Vermont Catamounts.
Nike’s Jordan brand, named after her Basketball Hall of Famer Michael Jordan which still retains a stake in the brand, is sponsoring four teams in this year’s tournament:
- No. 1 seed Houston Cougars.
- No. 2 seed UCLA Bruins.
- No. 5 seed San Diego State Aztecs.
- No. 16 seed Howard Bison.
BARACK OBAMA SIGNATURE MARCH MADNESS BRACKET AUCTION, ESTIMATED $20,000
This year’s tournament field will include 18 teams sponsored by Adidas, which has its global headquarters in Germany, but has its North American headquarters in Oregon. Adidas’ lineup at this year’s tournament is led by No. 1 seed Kansas Jayhawks and No. 4 seed Indiana Hoosiers, while it will also include the No. 5 seed Miami Hurricanes and No. 7 seed Texas A&M Aggies.
Middle and bottom seeds wearing Adidas in this year’s tournament include;
- No. 9 seed Florida Atlantic Owls.
- No. 11 seeds Arizona State Sun Devils, Mississippi State Bulldogs, Nevada Wolfpack and North Carolina State Wolfpack.
- No. 12 seeds Charleston Cougars and Drake Bulldogs.
- No. 13 seed Iona Gaels and Louisiana Ragin’ Cajuns.
- No. 14 seed Kennesaw State Owls and UC Santa Barbara Gauchos.
- Plus the No. 15 seed UNC Asheville Bulldogs, the No. 16 seed Northern Kentucky Norse and the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders.
GET THE FOX BUSINESS ON THE GO BY CLICKING HERE
There will be 10 sponsored teams Under Armor is based in Maryland in this year’s NCAA tournament led by the No. 5 seed Saint Mary’s Gaels, No. 7 seed Northwestern Wildcats and No. 8 seed Maryland Terrapins.
Other Under Armor programs competing in this year’s tournament include:
- No. 9 seed Auburn Tigers.
- No. 13 seed Kent State Golden Flash.
- No. 14 seed Montana State Bobcats.
- No. 15 seed Colgate Raiders.
- No. 16 seeds Farleigh Dickinson Devils, Southeast Missouri State Redhawks and Texas Southern Tigers.
|UAA||UNDER ARMOR INC.||8.24||-0.68||-7.57%|