Windows 11 updates are important and come out quite often. If you’re using Beta or Dev Builds of Windows 11, you shouldn’t miss any updates as they mostly contain bug fixes and new features.
However, the problem that Windows 11 users are now facing is “Unable to download updates”. Several Windows 11 users have reported that Windows 11 updates are not downloading on their computers.
So, if you are a Windows 11 user facing the same problem, continue reading the article. Below, we have shared some best ways to fix it Windows 11 updates cannot be downloaded or installation problems.
Why isn’t the Windows 11 update downloading?
Windows 11 update issues are usually related to internet connectivity and problematic system files. A few other things can also cause Windows 11 update problems.
We have listed some important reasons why Windows 11 update is not downloading.
- Error or Error
- Your internet is down.
- Windows system files are corrupted.
- Windows services are disabled.
- You are using a VPN/Proxy Server.
- Less storage space.
These main reasons lead to not downloading or installing Windows 11 updates.
How to fix Windows 11 not downloading updates?
Now that you know all the possible reasons why Windows 11 updates are not downloading, you can deal with the problem more effectively. Here’s how to fix Windows 11 updates not installing.
1. Restart your Windows 11 PC
If you haven’t rebooted your Windows 11 device in a while, now is the perfect time to reboot. Restarting will rule out errors and malfunctions that are preventing the Windows Update service from running.
Restarting the computer is the best way to eliminate temporary glitches and errors. It will also refresh memory and restart Windows Update Services.
So, click on the Windows 11 Start button, in the power menu and select “Restart”. After restarting, run Windows Update again.
2. Check your Internet connection
Well, Internet connection is required to download Windows Update. If your Internet is unstable, the Windows Update tool will have problems downloading the files from its servers.
Therefore, if Windows 11 updates are not downloading on your device, you need to check for problems online. You can use any speed test websites to determine your internet speed and stability.
3. Run the Windows Update Troubleshooter
Microsoft’s Windows 11 has an update troubleshooter that scans and fixes any problem related to the Windows Update service. You can run it to fix it Windows 11 updates cannot be downloaded.
1. Click the Windows 11 Start menu and select ‘Settings‘.
2. In Settings, go to the System tab. On the right side, select ‘Troubleshooting‘.
3. Then under Troubleshoot, click on ‘Other troubleshooting tools‘
4. Under Other troubleshooters, click ‘Run‘ button next to Windows Update.
This is! This will run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. You must follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.
4. Enable Windows Update Services
Malicious applications can sometimes disable Windows Update services. When Windows Updater services are disabled, Windows 11 will not check for updates.
Even if you manually run the Windows Update tool, it will fail to download the updates. Therefore, you need to make sure that Windows Update Services are enabled and running.
1. Press Windows Key + R to open the RUN dialog box. In the RUN dialog box, type services.msc and press the Enter button.
2. This will open the Services app. You need to find and double click on ‘Updated version for Windowsservice.
3. In Windows Update properties, select ‘Automatic‘ in the Startup Type drop-down menu and click ‘Applybutton ‘.
4. Now, find and double click on ‘Intelligent Background Transport Service‘.
5. Then in Background Smart Transfer Service Properties, select “Automatic‘ in the startup type and click on Apply button.
This is! After making the changes, restart your Windows PC.
5. Check your storage
Windows updates are often huge, and it is recommended that you have at least 20 GB of free storage space for the updates to install smoothly.
If you can download the updates but have errors installing them, you need to check your storage.
Windows may fail to download or install system updates if you have limited storage space. Therefore, free up storage space before downloading Windows updates.
6. Turn off metered connection
You may have set WiFi as a metered connection. When you set any network as a Metered connection, you reduce data consumption. To reserve WiFi data, Windows may stop checking for available updates.
- You can fix the problem by turning off metered connection. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Settings and go to Network & Internet.
- On the right side, click WiFi/Ethernet.
- Then select the connected WiFi/Ethernet and turn off The ‘Connection by measurement‘.
This is! Here’s how you can turn off metered connection on a Windows 11 PC.
7. Delete the update files from the SoftwareDistribution folder
SoftwareDistribution is a folder where Windows 11 stores all update files. Update files are stored in this folder and are automatically installed at the specified time and date.
If Windows 11 is not downloading or installing an update, you can try deleting the existing update from this folder to resolve the issue. Here’s what you should do.
1. First, click on Windows 11 search and type Services. Then open it Services application from the list.
2. In Services, right-click on Updated version for Windows and select ‘To stop‘.
3. Now open the RUN dialog box (Windows key + R)type the following path and press Enter.
4. This will open the Software Distribution folder.
5. Right click on all files and select ‘Delete‘
6. Now open Services again, right click on Windows Update and select ‘Principle‘.
This is! After making the changes, be sure to restart your computer.
8. Run System File Checker
The System File Checker utility is designed to detect and repair corrupted system files. It is useful and easy to fix Windows 11 Updates without installation problems. Here’s what you should do.
1. Click Windows 11 search and type CMD. Right-click on the command prompt and select “Run as administrator.”
2. When the command prompt opens, paste the command and press Enter.
This is! This will run the System File Checker utility on your computer. You have to wait patiently for the scan to complete.
These are some simple methods to fix Windows 11 updates problems without downloading or installing. We are sure that these methods will help you to install all Windows 11 updates easily. If the methods did not help you, you can ask a question in Microsoft forum or rollback your OS version.
Also Read: Windows 11 ISO Free Download Full Version
If you need more help solving Windows 11 update problems, let us know in the comments below. Also, if the article helped you, be sure to share it with your friends.