The average base salary for an electrician according to Indeed is $27.09 per hour. Average pay depends on many different factors. Like the location and the experience. Entry level is usually an apprentice position. Typically, apprenticeship programs pay half of what an apprentice does for a first-year electrician.
Unionized electricians are generally paid more than their non-union counterparts. And there are a bunch of other factors that affect an electrician’s salary. Like if you are self-employed and specialized in the projects you undertake.
How much do electricians make per hour?
Of course, the rate per hour listed above is just an average. There are higher salaries that come with experience. For example, the hourly rate in the US rises to $31.46 after a decade. Working in the highest paying states makes a difference. Some electricians get $32.09 an hour. The survey points to a high hourly rate of $41.87. The other end of the scale is a low hourly figure of $17.53.
How much do electricians earn per year?
The average electrician in the United States has a salary of $59,845 per year. The figures show annual high-level salaries at $92,495. Electricians working at the other end of the scale are paid $38,720.
What is the average salary for electricians in the United States?
If you’re wondering how much an electrician makes, the answer is $59,845 per year. This number was updated in February 2023.
From New Mexico to New York, How Electrician Salaries Vary by State
Of course, these salaries vary within the industry. Electricians starting at an entry level do not do what the seniors do. Data on how salaries vary in this career also depends on location.
Average Electrician Salary in New York State
Electrician jobs in this state have a base salary of $26.58 per hour. The journeyman is well paid at $59,380 per year.
Average salary for an electrician in San Francisco
Electricians in San Francisco, California are paid 77% above the national average. The base wage there is $47.84 per hour.
Electrician Salaries in New Mexico
The money electricians make in this state drops to about $307 per day. The highest wage in this state is $452 per day. Electrician jobs here add $9,430 in overtime per year
Average salary for an electrician in South Carolina
A good career in this industry may depend on your location. For example, the average salary varies by state. In what is listed above, electricians can expect to make around $51,000 a year. This is 15% below national averages for this industry.
Electrician salaries in Alaska
Electricians in Alaska make about $43.34 an hour. Labor statistics show that Kodiak, Alaska is the highest paying city at $55.85.
Average salary for an electrician in Colorado
An industrial electrician installs electrical equipment and electrical systems from plans and sketches. The Colorado labor market pays a base salary of $64,784 per year.
Electrician Salary in North Dakota
Companies in North Dakota pay $74,465 annually. Look for entry level job alerts. They start at over $70,000.
Average salary for an electrician in California
With a high school diploma, job seekers receive an average of $323 per day in California.
Washington Electrician Salary
Companies pay $390 a day here.
Average salary for an electrician in Florida
Location matters for this position. A company in the Sunshine State provides employment that pays $9,438 a year over time. Maintenance electricians repair wiring and take care of general maintenance in a building.
Where to make the most money as an electrician
Electricians in New York are the highest paid. They earn $77,810 a year. A job in Alaska will bring home $76,330.
How to start becoming an electrician
There are some steps you need to take whether you want to become a residential or industrial electrician. The pay of electricians depends on whether you follow them.
- First, you need the right education and that means finishing high school. Understanding electrical systems means you have a background in algebra. Job seekers should also take engineering design courses. They should also know something about electrical maintenance.
- You must have a good knowledge base of repairs and equipment. Companies are also looking for candidates with vocational-technical education.
- Apprenticeships then come through a union or vocational school. The union track requires participation to learn about electrical systems.
- Completing your apprenticeship is essential before you consider opening up jobs. The company will want to attend electrical training in domestic and industrial equipment.
- Get certified. There are requirements that vary by state and sometimes even by city for this. Any company will want to see evidence that you understand the National Electrical Code.
Tips for maximizing your earnings as an electrician
Once you’ve got your tools in order and completed your training, you’ll want to make as much money as possible. Here are some tips.
- I’m starting a business. The initial cost is a bit higher if you start your own company. But it pays off in the end.
- I’m taking lessons. Continuing education courses can be part of your electrical license. They help you with your license maintenance and keep you up to date with other tasks.
- Search for other jobs. It’s always a good idea to look at other jobs in your area. Or use platforms like Linkedin. The number of jobs in any area is a sign and indication of where you should be looking.
- Ask for a Raise. Perhaps you supervised other electricians? It’s also best to ask in person. Email is not the best option here.
- Market your business. Business tips like this usually have to do with online search techniques. Optimizing a website for SEO is a good idea. Professional digital marketers can help you choose the right font size and content. Remember, a good website is just as important as a physical sign. While you’re at it, check out these 14 electrician apps to get more marketing ideas.
- Change your focus. Maybe you want to change the type of work you do to earn more money. Industrial trade jobs can boost your income compared to home electrician jobs
What is the highest paying electrician job?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the highest paying electrical jobs in the top 90% pay $99,800 a year.
What is the lowest salary for an electrician?
At the other end of the scale, the annual salary for the top 10% of electricians is $37,020.
Do electricians make 6 figures?
Skilled trades such as electricians face shortages. These jobs pay an average of $53,616 per year. Salaries for an Electrician II in the US averaged $66,000 as of January 2023. Electricians working in metropolitan areas have the required level of experience and can make six figures.
Becoming an electrician is learning to repair, maintain and install electrical equipment and wiring. The full certification process can take up to five years. This blog has given you some facts, figures and ideas to help you decide to become an electrician.
Image: Envato Elements
More at: Electrician Industry, How to start